SABSOSA 2021 Competition Info
Registration is closed.
Entry registration is closed.
SABSOSA is open to all interested amateur brewers who are residents of South Australia.
- All entries must be made using private equipment by amateur brewers (i.e., no use of commercial facilities or brew on-premises operations etc.).
- Maximum of two entries per category – within this limit only one entry per style. Maximum ten entries per entrant.
- Fix one entry label per clean bottle with a rubber band only – no tape. No names required.
- Vessels containing beer should be at least 500ml and no more than 1000ml in volume in glass, PET plastic or can (over 500ml). 700-800ml preferred. No 330ml stubbies or cans.
- The fee of $7.00 (+fees) per entry must be paid by PayPal or credit card. Cash will not be accepted.
- Beer judging guidelines can be found on aabc.org.au
- The competition organisers are not responsible for incorrectly categorised entries, mailed entries that are not received by the entry deadline or that arrived damaged, or for the loss or damage to any entry, entry form, or fee.
- Entrants are bound by the competition rules. The judges’ and Competition Director’s decision is final and no dispute will be entered into.
- Judges will evaluate and score each entry. The average of the scores will rank each entry in its category.
- By entering the competition, entrants accept the competition rules, conditions of entry and categories and styles and are bound by these conditions.
- Participants must declare any conflict of interest before taking part in the administration or judging of a competition.
AABC Judging Styles
If a style's name is hyperlinked, it has specific entry requirements. Click or tap on the name to view the subcategory's requirements.
|1.1 Light Australian Lager [AABC]||1.2 Scottish Light [BJCP 14A]||1.3 London Brown Ale [BJCP 27]|
|1.4 Dark Mild [BJCP 13A]||1.5 German Leichtbier [BJCP 5A]||1.6 Czech Pale Lager [BJCP 3A]|
|1.7 Ordinary Bitter [BJCP 11A]||2.1 Australian Lager [AABC]||2.2 Helles Bock [BJCP 4C]|
|2.3 Australian Premium Lager [AABC]||2.4 International Pale Lager [BJCP 2A]||2.5 German Dortmunder [BJCP 5C]|
|2.6 Pre Prohibition Lager [BJCP 27]||2.7 German Pils [BJCP 5D]||2.8 Czech Premium Pale Lager [BJCP 3B]|
|2.9 Festbier [BJCP 4B]||2.10 Munich Helles [BJCP 4A]||3.1 International Amber Lager [BJCP 2B]|
|3.2 Czech Amber Lager [BJCP 3C]||3.3 Munich Dunkel [BJCP 8A]||3.4 Vienna Lager [BJCP 7A]|
|3.5 Marzen [BJCP 6A]||3.6 Czech Dark Lager [BJCP 3D]||3.7 Schwarzbier [BJCP 8B]|
|3.8 California Common [BJCP 19B]||3.9 Dunkles Bock [BJCP 6C]||4.1 Cream Ale [BJCP 1C]|
|4.2 Blonde Ale [BJCP 18A]||4.3 Kolsch [BJCP 5B]||4.4 Belgian Pale Ale [BJCP 24B]|
|4.5 Australian Sparkling Ale [BJCP 12B]||5.1 American Pale Ale [BJCP 18B]||6.1 Australian Bitter Ale [AABC]|
|6.2 British Golden Ale [BJCP 12A]||6.3 Best Bitter [BJCP 11B]||6.4 American Amber Ale [BJCP 19A]|
|6.5 Altbier [BJCP 7B]||6.6 Strong Bitter [BJCP 11C]||7.1 Scottish Heavy [BJCP 14B]|
|7.2 Scottish Export [BJCP 14C]||7.3 Irish Red Ale [BJCP 15A]||7.4 Australian Dark/Old Ale [AABC]|
|7.5 British Brown Ale [BJCP 13B]||7.6 American Brown Ale [BJCP 19C]||8.1 English Porter [BJCP 13C]|
|8.2 American Porter [BJCP 20A]||8.3 Baltic Porter [BJCP 9C]||9.1 Sweet Stout [BJCP 16A]|
|9.2 Irish Stout [BJCP 15B]||9.3 Oatmeal Stout [BJCP 16B]||9.4 Irish Extra Stout [BJCP 15C]|
|10.1 Tropical Stout [BJCP 16C]||10.2 Foreign Extra Stout [BJCP 16D]||10.3 American Stout [BJCP 20B]|
|10.4 Imperial Stout [BJCP 20C]||11.1 English IPA [BJCP 12C]||11.2 American IPA [BJCP 21A]|
|12.1 New England IPA [BJCP 21B]||12.2 White IPA [BJCP 21B]||12.3 Red IPA [BJCP 21B]|
|12.4 Brown IPA [BJCP 21B]||12.5 Rye IPA [BJCP 21B]||12.6 Belgian IPA [BJCP 21B]|
|12.7 Black IPA [BJCP 21B]||12.8 Double IPA [BJCP 22A]||13.1 Weissbier [BJCP 10A]|
|13.2 Witbier [BJCP 24A]||13.3 Dunkles Weissbier [BJCP 10B]||13.4 Roggenbier [BJCP 27]|
|13.5 American Wheat Beer [BJCP1D]||13.6 Weizenbock [BJCP10C]||13.7 Wheatwine [BJCP22D]|
|14.1 Berliner Weisse [BJCP 23A]||14.2 Gose [BJCP 27]||14.3 Flanders Red Ale [BJCP 23B]|
|14.4 Lambic [BJCP 23D]||14.5 Gueuze [BJCP 23E]||14.6 Fruit Lambic [BJCP 23F]|
|14.7 Oud Bruin [BJCP 23C]||14.8 Brett Beer [BJCP 28A]||14.9 Mixed Fermentation Sour [BJCP 28]|
|15.1 Saison [BJCP 25B]||15.2 Biere de Garde [BJCP 24C]||15.3 Trappist Single [BJCP 26A]|
|15.4 Belgian Blond Ale [BJCP 25A]||15.5 Belgian Dubbel [BJCP 26B]||15.6 Belgian Tripel [BJCP 26C]|
|15.7 Belgian Golden Strong Ale [BJCP 25C]||15.8 Belgian Dark Strong Ale [BJCP 26D]||16.1 Wee Heavy [BJCP 17C]|
|16.2 Doppelbock [BJCP 9A]||16.3 Eisbock [BJCP 9B]||16.4 British Strong Ale [BJCP 17A]|
|16.5 Old Ale [BJCP 17B]||16.6 American Strong Ale [BJCP 22B]||16.7 English Barleywine [BJCP 17D]|
|16.8 American Barleywine [BJCP 22C]||17.1 Fruit Beer [BJCP 29A]||17.2 Spice Herb Vegetable Beer [BJCP 30A]|
|17.3 Autumn Seasonal Beer [BJCP 30B]||17.4 Winter Seasonal Beer [BJCP 30C]||18.1 Rauchbier [BJCP 6B]|
|18.2 Classic Style Smoked Beer [BJCP 32A]||18.3 Specialty Smoked Beer [BJCP 32B]||18.4 Wood Aged Beer [BJCP 33A]|
|18.5 Specialty Wood?Aged Beer [BJCP 33B]||18.6 Belgian Specialty Ale [AABC]||18.7 Alternative Grain Beer [BJCP 31A]|
|18.8 Alternative Sugar Beer [BJCP 31B]||18.9 Experimental Beer [BJCP 34C]||19.1 Dry Mead [BJCP M1A]|
|19.2 Semi Sweet Mead [BJCP M1B]||19.3 Sweet Mead [BJCP M1C]||19.4 Fruit Mead [BJCP M2]|
|19.5 Fruit Spice Mead [BJCP M3A]||19.6 Braggot [BJCP M4A]||19.7 Other Mead [BJCP M3B, M4B, M4C]|
|20.1 New World Cider [BJCP C1A]||20.2 English Cider [BJCP C1B]||20.3 French Cider [BJCP C1C]|
|20.4 Perry (New World, Traditional) [BJCP C1D]||20.5 Other Cider/Perry [BJCP C2]|
Number of Bottles Required Per Entry: 1
Judging Sessions and Dates
Best of Show
Best Beer of Show and runner up will be awarded to the first and second highest scoring beer in the competition. The brewer of the Best Beer of Show will have the opportunity to collaborate with the great guys at Western Ridge Brewing Concern.
Best Brewer of Show and runner up will be awarded to the brewer with the highest aggregate points score (3 points for a 1st place, 2 points for a 2nd place, 1 point for a 3rd place).
1st, 2nd and 3rd places will be awarded for each category.
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
39 George Street Thebarton
Sunday 29 August, 2021 1:00 PM, ACST
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed beers in each category will be eligible for entry into the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship.
Please keep a second bottle of each of your entries to have available to enter AABC, should you place at SABSOSA.